Welcome moviegoers to the box office results where we take a look at the weekend’s opening numbers for films in wide release (1,000 theatres or over) in the USA and to see and compare if our predictions were “right on the money” or if they were “too optimistic”.
|RIGHT ON THE MONEY||(0-5% range)|
|SO CLOSE||(6-20% range)|
|TOO OPTIMISTIC||(41% + range)|
Fox’s latest release of ‘Alien: Covenant’ topped the charts, opening at #1 with $36 million. While it is noticeably down from previous entry’s opening weekend ‘Prometheus’ ($51 million), with a production budget of $97 million, its not a bad start for ‘Alien: Covenant’.
- Daniel’s Prediction: $42 million (14.2%) SO CLOSE
- Nic’s Prediction: $65 million (44.6%) TOO OPTIMISTIC
- Opening Weekend: $36 million
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul
And speaking of Fox releases, ‘Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul’ opened in sixth place with $7.2 million, noticeably down from the last three entries (the first two opened with more than $20 million, while the third film opened with $14 million).
- Daniel’s Prediction: $9 million (20%) SO CLOSE
- Nic’s Prediction: $30 million (76%) TOO OPTIMISTIC
- Opening Weekend: $7.2 million
Warner Bros.’ latest release ‘Everything, Everything’ was the film that exceeded expectations, opening to $12 million. With a small production budget of $10 million, this film is off to a good start.
- Daniel’s Prediction: $9 million (25%) ALMOST
- Nic’s Prediction: $5 million (58.3%) TOO OPTIMISTIC
- Opening Weekend: $12 million
Source: Box Office Mojo